MONOPOLY: Best Editions
Monopoly has been a household favorite for generations. With its long history and heavy marketing, we’ve seen a large variety of Monopoly Editions over the years. While most stay true to the classic game, others deviate quite a bit. So what Monopoly Edition is best? Are there any editions that improve the game? Here are our 5 Best Monoply Editions.
- Buy, sell, dream and scheme your way to riches
- Players buy, sell and trade to win
- Build houses and hotels on your properties.
- Chance and Community Chest cards can change everything.
1. Monopoly Classic
It’s hard to beat the original. Monopoly has seen minor changes with new tokens and designs, and the core gameplay has remained untouched. Monopoly is also one of the games where some have a love/hate relationship with it. The games can be lengthy, and the unfortunate luck of a dice roll can be frustrating. Monopoly Classic is familiar, and there are no new rules to learn or explain.
- The same classic board we all know and love PLUS 9 new properties including 7 new States!
- Monopoly The Mega Edition is the first Monopoly game to include 1000 bills!
2. Monopoly Mega Edition
The Monopoly Mega Edition is for true Monopoly fans or more competitive players. The Mega edition also stays true to the classic gameplay, but as the name implies, there is much more to it. The board is 50% larger, which means all the old properties you love, but a few additional ones. The property colors remain the same, but each color has additional property attached. The browns and blues now have 3 properties, while all the others have 4. Hotels are also not the final achievement; now, you go beyond it with Skyscrapers. Plus, a train station can be upgraded to a train depot for double the rent. Don’t worry; Mega Monopoly has more dollars than the classic edition, with each player starting the game with a new $1000 bill. This game is lengthier than the classic gameplay, but there is an optional speed die and a new bus mechanic to speed up the game.
There is a London Edition of Mega Monopoly available as well! The London version operates the same but with scenic properties.
- Instant transactions and cashless gameplay
- Introducing Event cards for an exciting game
- Property values rise and fall
- Tap technology makes the game fast and fun
- Bank cards track players’ wealth
- Includes 1 gameboard, 1 Ultimate Banking unit, 4 plastic tokens, 22 houses, 49 cards [4 Bank, 22 Title Deed, 23 Event], 2 dice, and game guide
3. Monopoly Ultimate Banking
Monopoly Ultimate Banking may be the best edition for those looking for Monopoly but a quicker and simpler game. This addition is mainly known for its lack of Monopoly Dollars. Instead, all currency is electronic and kept on your Monopoly Bank Card. The game includes a card reader that can show how much each player has in the bank and how much each player owes. The game has a house token, but you do not “build” in this edition though the mechanic is similar. Instead, you increase the property’s rent level, and the house token is placed on the level number indicator above the property. The card reader also can show what level the property is at. What makes this game quicker than others is the goal of having the most money once a player is bankrupt. This small change affects the gameplay slightly, as grabbing every property you can deplete your funds too quickly.
- Change up game night with this version of the Monopoly game where cheating is not only welcome, it’s a must do! With the Cheater’s edition, players can try to get away with as many cheats as they can. They’re rewarded for completing a cheat and penalized for failing one. Follow, bend, or break the rules to win!
4. Monopoly Cheaters Edition
We all got that one friend or family member who cheats. Well, if you can’t beat them, join them. Monopoly Cheaters Edition operates like a quicker version of the classic Monopoly. Building is limited to Hotels only, and there are no train stations. Instead, the trains transport you to the next train. What makes this edition unique is that you are encouraged to cheat. In the middle of the board, 5 cheat cards list what cheating actions you can try to get away with. A cheat can happen any time during a turn, and you are considered to have gotten away with the crime once the next player rolls the dice. However, you can call out a cheater and make them pay a fine if you can prove it!
- A MONOPOLY-themed adventure with the great outdoors awaits you! Plan a cross-country vacation and experience over 60 of the most beautiful and historic sites in America in this special National Parks Edition of MONOPOLY. Buy, sell and trade the diversity of these parks from the stunning landscape of the Grand Canyon to the awe inspiring wonder of Yellowstone. Also featured are the wildlife that call the parks home. A portion of proceeds goes to the National Park Foundation.
5. Monopoly Collector Editions
The final one on our list is not a specific edition but a category of editions. As you’ve probably seen in stores, Monopoly has several themed editions. Most of these editions play similarly to the classic Monopoly but with your favorite characters and locations. You can find anything from Animal Crossing, Stranger Things, and even a Fall Guys Edition. We featured the Monopoly National Parks Edition as the gameplay remains the same as the original except now with a theme everyone can appreciate and even share memories about.